Saturday, December 29, 2007

On Law, Religion, and Morality

I found this quote at

http://www.thomaspaineblog.org

“There are many things which in themselves are neither morally good nor bad, but they are productive of consequences, which are strongly marked with one or other of these characters.”
-Thomas Paine

I thought it very clearly stated something I've been grappling with but haven't quite been able to put my finger on -- a concept that has been a theme in some of my posts. Those of us who believe in some form of organized religion have a code of morality laid out for us. Religion and morality are inextricably intertwined. But how about those who are atheist or agnostic? Surely these people are not amoral. So morality is not the sole territory of religion.

So from where else does one derive one's sense of right and wrong? The laws of the land provide us with clear guidelines about what is and is not legal...what behaviors will and won't be punished. There is clearly some overlap between law and morality, but unlike with religion, issues of law are not always issues of morality. For example, if I exceed the speed limit in my car, I do not feel the need to repent. However, sooner or later it is likely that some kind police officer will point out the error of my ways, and impose a consequence.

Further, for those of us who are Christian, our religion dictates that we follow the laws of the land, insofar as they are compatible with the laws of God. But we must put the law of God before the law of man -- creating quite the dilemma in circumstances where the laws of God and man are in conflict.

hmmm........

So let's apply this to an issue I have put forth:

Drugs -- illegal, (although medical uses of marijuana remain in a grey area); to my knowledge, religion does not speak directly to the issue of drug use; moral or immoral? the demonization of drug use that I have spoken of leaves one with the impression that there is a question of morality here, but I think Mr. Paine's words are appropriate -- drug use in and of itself is neither morally good nor bad, but use outside a doctor's care is a violation of law, and therein lies the moral issue. Given that, I reiterate my position that medical use of marijuana SHOULD be a legal option, provided continued study supports its benefits, and government sponsored needle exchange programs are also within the boundaries of morality.

Sphere: Related Content